Saturday, July 23, 2011

Feeling privileged...

Sometimes I feel guilty for feeling happy, while at the same time there's so much misery on our planet.
Tsunamis and earthquakes, civil wars, religious wars, people starving in Africa, idiots shooting dozens of innocent young people in Norway...
The blindness of the people for the pollution of our planet, overfishing of our seas, the consequences of the meat industry, etc....
People trapped in their personal situations/relations/problems, often without the perspective to be able to change a thing...
I tell myself that I'm just a tiny player in the whole and there's not much I can do to change all this. I take my responsibilities, help where I can, and there is not much more which I can do.
I tell myself that 100 years ago it would have taken days/weeks before news from other countries/parts of the world would have arrived, and that it does not help to carry the weight of the world.
I tell myself that it's better to focus on the positive sides of life, than the negative, without ignoring them.
So I try not to get influenced too much by the news of the world, to seize the day, to enjoy and be thankful.
But hey... isn't life extremely bizarre? Beautiful and devastating at the same time...
There's too much ignorance in this world and I really don't know if this will ever change...
It should be possible to invent an improved version of life...
I think that's what still drives us artists

I can plunge into my paint, dream away in creation and in the results. I therefore feel privileged.

In front of 'A true bottle redhead' from the 'Girls in Paint' series.

4 comments:

  1. And so many should feel privileged to enjoy your amazing creations and this refreshing article. Have a nice day Esther Barend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you Julio, that's a big compliment! Have a nice day you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really appreciate your feelings n work

    ReplyDelete